Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To breed or not to breed...THAT is the question!




Let me first just say that I have been back & forth on this subject since...oh I don't know.  Probably once I really fell in love with my mare Honey.  So coming up on 7 years now in May. 

In May 2008 my horse started going on & off lame so I gave her the rest of our Drill season off.  After we were done she was still off & on but then I got a second horse for Christmas that year & she just kinda fell on the back burner.  Finally I had a vet out to do x-rays on her & she was diagnosed with Navicular syndrome.  I have tried to do my best with her since then but she once again kinda got put on hold when the other mare (Scooter) started getting very ill.  Eventually I had to put that horse down due to intestinal cancer.  Then I got Honey back on track with her meds & got a much better shoer.


Well now about a month back I had a different vet come & take a look at her because I thought she might have done something to a tendon in her leg.  The vet said she looked great but that Honey would always be that way now that she is navicular.  She told me I probably had another 2-3 years of riding left with her then after that I would have to start thinking about what I wanted to do with her.  The vet was really great and she gave me a medicine regimen for Honey & just said she'll have good days & bad.  So this diagnosis is what finally made my decision for me.  Yes...a month later.

In case you don't know me...I am obsessed with my horse.  I got her at an auction in Yelm and over the year after I got her we bonded and I haven't loved any horse more.  So I have decided to get a baby from her.  (Hopefully another mare).  I have talked to some friends about it who have bred their horses and a couple of them knew of mutual friends that had Stallions.  So I finally found one that I like and Hopefully I will get her bred this year!  It won't be in the spring which is I think normally when people do this but, oh well.    I am so excited now!  Also really scared because I can't help myself. 


I can't wait to get started with this!  Now I just need to save up money for all the vet bills I'll be accumilating.  At least this time it will be for a new life and not ending one.  :-) 

2 comments:

robertga99 said...

She is such a beauty! I hope it works and you can get a baby from her.

Patches said...

Ooooh, a Honey baby! Exciting! Who's the stud?