Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Getting older...but it still feels like I'm 21!


Have you ever had a moment in your life where everything just kind of stops…and all of a sudden you’ve realized that you are older? If you have had this moment you know exactly what I am talking about. I, for the last six years have not really felt any older than 21. In some cases I still tend to think that I am more like 19. So, about a month ago I was telling my mom about these books that I read. They are “young adult” novels but I told my mom “they are for adults too!” She looked at me and said “well yeah…you are an adult you know.” That statement kind of weirded me out a little bit. I didn’t have “the moment” yet but it was still strange to have my mom say that to me, especially since she still sits me and the rest of my cousins that are my age at the “kids” table. Ha ha! I didn’t think too much of it after that and just went about my normal life.
Well last week I decided to look up these actors on Wikipedia.com because they are in my favorite movie based on those novels I was talking about earlier. I had seen this movie…lets just say…numerous times. I was slowly looking at everyone’s DOB and what other movies they were in. Now, I knew that the main female character in the movie was 18 yrs. old in real life and two of the male characters in the movie were 22 yrs. and 16 yrs. old. This never bothered me before and I just felt like pretty much everyone in that movie was in my same age group. When I started looking at the years each of these people were born in THAT’S when it hit me! All these actors & actresses aside from three of them were much younger than me. Their Years of birth ranging from 1979 – 1992!!!!! I mean REALLY!!! This was not what I wanted to experience! Some one that is 18 years old was born in 1990!!! In 1990 I was in the 4th grade already!!!
Since last week I have been in this strange state of mind. I wouldn’t call it depression because I KNOW that 27 is not anywhere near being old. I guess it could be that I am actually coming to the realization that I am closer to 30 now than I am to 21. Maybe that it’s time I start to grow up and leave behind my irresponsibility and silliness. Maybe it’s because I am one of the VERY FEW people left in my group of friends that is still completely single with no strings attached to my ankles holding me in one place. I have never been depressed (so far) about being single though and I do not ever want children. Who knows the answer?? I am hoping it will pass quickly since I am essentially a very happy person, happy with my life and everything in it (other than wanting to win mega millions). My 27th b-day is coming up in 2 weeks and I don’t want to be acting retarded because I all of a sudden think I am old. LOL!! I guess it’s just like people always say… “Age is a state of mind.” Here’s to keeping my young state of mind for as long as possible!

1 comment:

Patches said...

Oh man, I can totally sympathize with ya! 4 weeks from tomorrow I will officially be closer to 30 then 25. Holy s***! I could still deal with 27 as long as it was closer to 25. I like 25. 30 scares the poo outta me and I'm getting too close for comfort!

And reading Twilight does make me feel a little old, but it is still the best series EVER! :)